Wednesday, September 11, 2013

crazy thoughts



Can I just start this entry by making something very clear? I am not, I repeat, not a theologian. Never have been and never will be. So if in this entry, I somehow insult you with my thoughts, please forgive and have grace. Okay, sigh; just feel better getting that off my chest.

How many of you have seen the movie, Avatar? Just the other night, I bought it off of Amazon and downloaded it to our Amazon account. Now, I realize that some of you may not be fans of the fantasy genre, so if you haven’t seen it allow me to give you a brief summary.
 
Oh.My. How does one succinctly go into the story line that is Avatar? 

The main character, Sully travels to a distant moon called Pandora as part of a military force whose sole goal is to mine for Unobtanium which is a highly valuable mineral found on this moon. The problem is that the native tribe, the Na’vi,  live directly over the richest mining field. Sully’s job is to become one of the Na’vi in order to gain their trust and convince them to move away from their sacred ground. 

Through his time spent with the Na’vi, Sully not only grows to love the people, but their land and sacred ways as well. In fact, the movie closes with Sully forever forsaking his human life to become a member of the Na’vi tribe. In the very last clip, Sully’s eyes open with a kind of excitement and joy reflected in them . End scene.  

You might be thinking to yourself, why all this talk about Avatar?  I don’t know about you, but I love a good story. For me, sometimes a story takes a complex idea, one that is above my pay-grade, and makes it understandable—in an everyday sort of way. After all, Jesus often told stories, parables, to teach us about the Kingdom of Heaven.

So why not use Avatar. A movie that seemingly has nothing to do with religious things. Or does it? You see as I watched Avatar and how the character Sully began to love being Na’vi over being human, and chose to become one of them to the very core of his being, something occurred to me. Maybe Sully’s joy over becoming Na’vi was the same for Jesus when he became fully human.

I may be on shaky ground here but stay with me. 

According to Wikipedia, Jesus referred to himself as the Son of Man 81 times. While in the epistles, Jesus is only called the Son of Man four times, in the Gospels Jesus is recorded as using it all the time. In fact, Son of Man, seemed to be his favorite self-designation.

The question is why? Why would Jesus choose that designation to identify himself? After all he had every right to call himself the Son of God because that’s exactly who he is. 

Maybe you feel the same way, but I never really understood why Jesus would call himself the Son of Man. I mean, I know the right Sunday school answer; Jesus called  himself Son of Man because he is both true God and true man. I don’t have a problem with that. I get that. But if I was both true God and true man, I would choose to call myself Son of God nine times out of ten. It just sounds better. More important. More lofty.

But maybe Jesus referred to himself as the Son of Man so often because he was proud to be human. He loved humanity. After all, as humans we are God’s prized creation.

Before I close, I wanted to share a scripture with you that might illuminate what I’ve been making clear as mud. 

 After Jesus was arrested, he was taken to the court of the high priest to stand trial. While there he was questioned but remained silent; that is until there was one question he couldn’t help but answer. And what he had to say spoke volumes as to how Jesus really felt about becoming one of us.

Matthew 26:63-66 The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.” 
   64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”[a]
 
When asked, Jesus acknowledged truthfully that he was the Son of God. But when he spoke about the day of judgment, Jesus once again choose his favorite self-designation; Son of Man. Just in case you missed it, here it is again.

“But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”[a]
 
End Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment