Tuesday, April 2, 2013

the living word


 
Anybody out there who thinks the Bible is boring, unsophisticated, out of touch with reality, or just too darn hard to understand? I tell you what, you’re not alone. I’m sure many of us, at one time or another, have felt this way about God’s Word. Either that, or we’ve decided that we don’t have time to sit down and read it.  I know I fall into that category. All day long I’m so busy doing “my things,” that I am reluctant to sit and listen to the One who gave me the day in the first place.

There have been many times when I just haven’t felt like sitting down to read my Bible. I drag my feet. But a simple analogy has helped me think about why it’s important to be in God’s Word on a regular basis. Brushing my teeth. I don’t have to do it. My teeth may rot, but it isn’t “necessary.” So, I figure it is with God’s Word. I don’t have to sit down every day and read my Bible. It isn’t necessary for my salvation. But just because I don’t have to, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t.

Even if this silly analogy doesn’t work for you, how about a verse from the bible itself to spur you on?

Isaiah 55:10-11

 As the rain and the snow
   come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
   without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
   so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
   It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
   and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

As the rain and snow water the earth, so God’s Word waters our hearts to grow beautiful thoughts, actions, words, deeds. His Word always accomplishes the purpose for which he sent it. That’s a comforting thought to me. Even on those days when I sit down to read it and get distracted by other things, or I can’t seem to grasp what it is that I’m reading, I know God’s Word is still doing its work and that it won’t return to him empty.

There’s another verse in Hebrews that reminds me of the power of God’s Word.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

God’s Word is indeed powerful. Whether it brings a word of judgment to turn us around, a word of redemption for our wounded souls, or a word of healing and hope in the midst of our oppression, God has placed specific passages in Scripture for each and every problem or dilemma that we face in this life.

What an awesome and comforting thought to know that God’s Word is so alive and powerful. Only our God could breathe such life into his Word that it penetrates to the very core of our beings. Don’t make any more excuses for not picking up your Bible. Find time every day to be in God’s Word, even if it’s only five minutes. Go to God. Sit at his feet and listen to what he has to say to you. I promise you. No, scratch that, God promises you that his Word won’t leave you feeling empty-handed or empty-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment