Tuesday, February 18, 2014

do the next thing



As I’ve been working on my memoir there are times when I’ve felt completely overwhelmed. It is such a huge process requiring time, dedication and hard work.

When I was a teacher I remember feeling that way as well. Each morning, I would go through my plans for the day and nearly panic at the thought of trying to get it all done. In fact, I often found myself feeling unequal to the tasks at hand. 

That’s when I learned something very important—four simple yet profound words that would be my guide and compass even on the busiest of days; Do the next thing. These words from Elizabeth Elliot forever changed the way I operated in the midst of overwhelming circumstances. 

Do the next thing. 

There’s so much wisdom in those four simple words. As a person who typically freaks out when I have too many things on my plate, this quote, time and again, has pulled me out of the fray. Simple, yet, stunningly powerful guidance: 

Do the next thing.

I can’t tell you how many times that straightforward instruction has gotten me through feeling so overwhelmed that I, literally, didn’t know where to start and, consequently, didn’t want to make a beginning of anything.

There’s a story in the Bible that also speaks to this feeling of being overwhelmed by one’s work. It’s the story of David who’s giving advice to his son, Solomon, who has been commissioned to build a temple for the Lord: 

Then David [said], Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged by the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished correctly. (NLT)1 Chronicles 28:20

Very wise words spoken to a son who faced the seemingly insurmountable task of building a temple for the Lord—a task that would take seven years to complete. 

You see, David had passed along all of the instructions God had given him for the building of the temple. He knew that the time, commitment and dedication it was going to take might overwhelm his son, so he offered an expanded version of, “Do the next thing”; “Be strong and courageous and do the work.” 

Since I have no idea how hectic or overwhelming your day has been, or will be, let me offer you two pieces of advice. No matter how stressed out you may feel remember two important things; do the next thing and be strong and courageous and do the work. For me, it works like a charm every time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment