Monday, June 13, 2011

A Messy Mess

This is just a silly poem I wrote at one point in my life when I felt particularly down about my sinful yuckiness.  Anyway, not much creativity coming out of this brain today, but maybe you'll enjoy this.  I am writing a book about my experiences with mental illness.  Over time I'll be sharing parts of it on my blog.  Just FYI. 

A Mess
Messy, messy, messy, messy.
That’s how I feel right now.
And I wish that I could be
Clean, clean, clean, clean.

But feelings aren’t facts.
God says
that I’m sparkling and shiny.
So why is it,
That I feel like such a mess?

Really, if I was a kid I’d be
Covered in play dough right now.

Or if I was a pig,
I’d be
Up to my snout
in slime.

If I was a raccoon,
I’d be rooting in the garbage.

Or if I was a fish,
I’d be one of the
Scum-sucking bottom dwellers.

Anyway, that’s how I feel.
But feelings aren’t facts.

I’m whiter than snow.
Cleaner than the angels
Shining like gold
 And smelling like a rose.

So why do I feel so messy?

Yucky, dingy, gross,
Want to jump out of
My own skin nasty.

If I was a turtle
I’d be turned upside down.

If I  was a whale,
 I’d be beached.

If I was a unicorn,
I wouldn’t have any horn.

And if I was a duck,
I wouldn’t float.

But God says
I’m fresh as a meadow
after a spring rain.
Cleaner than my
Bar of soap.
Brighter than sunshine
Reflecting off snow.

Yes, I am clean,
cleaner than I’d
ever hoped for.

I’ve been washed in
The blood of the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment