Thursday, September 8, 2011

Entanglement

Hebrews 12:1  Therefore . . . let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 

When I used to read the above verse from Hebrews, I thought that to "throw off sin" meant to avoid sinning altogether.  And, I think that, to a degree, that is what the above verse is saying.  But, I am also thinking there may be a deeper meaning to it.  Another picture comes to mind. I'm wearing a heavy  coat, the "coat of guilt" and I can't seem to shake it off. The problem is that even when I've confessed a sin, I keep "wearing" the guilt.  Much like a winter coat, it is heavy and cumbersome.  I struggle to get it off, but  it entangles me to the point that I can barely walk, let alone run.     

Hebrews 12:2  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith . . .  

The good news is that when I take my eyes off of my guilt and shame, when I look up, I see Jesus leading me.   "Fix your eyes on me," he seems to be saying.  "Let the sin go. Let the shame go. Let the guilt go.  Because of the price I paid, your sins are forgiven. Live out that truth."  These words encourage me to take off my "coat of guilt."  It's much too heavy to be running in anyway.   

No comments:

Post a Comment