Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Loving the Giver more than the Gifts

So, with Thanksgiving fast approaching I thought it would be appropriate to write about what being thankful means to me.  I have to admit that there have been many times in my life when I have not been thankful.  Whether in plenty or in want- sometimes it's too easy to keep my focus on things; what I have, what I don't have.  In fact, sometimes I become so obsessed with my "things" that I forget about the One who gave them to me.  

 I will always remember a prayer that my aunt prayed one Thanksgiving;  "Dear Lord, help us to love you the Giver more than we love the gifts you give."  That powerful petition  has stuck with me to this day.  So, here's a list of just some of the things I am so thankful for:

the sweet scent of spring
the smell of a newly mowed lawn
a bright, blue sky on a warm, sunshiney day
my kids' laughter
my husband's love
family and friends who are there through good times and bad
my bed (Oh, how I love to sleep)
my dog (Well, unless he's barking which, when I think about it, takes up a good portion of the day.)
happy and healthy kids
Jesus
the many posessions I have - most of which are wants more than needs
A Creator
A beautiful crystal clear lake just right for dipping toes in
Breathtaking sunsets
And the list goes on and on and on . . .

I remember before I was diagnosed bipolar coming across a verse that reminded me about what is truly important - the Giver, not the gifts.  It struck me as such a powerful verse that I journaled about it that day.   Here's an excerpt of what I wrote:

Psalm 62:10b Though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.(NIV)

When I underlined this verse, I felt as though God was sending me a message: 'When things get better, when you enter your own "Promised Land", don't forget about me'. But, I must admit,  in the midst of prosperity it's so easy to forget about God . . . '

Since being diagnosed, my riches have increased.  The first and most important way has been in my well- being - both of body and mind.  I feel really good most days.  I'm not  bogged down by the despair that comes with depression, and, with the right meds, my mania is very manageable.  On top of all that I have a wonderful family who supports and encourages me.  So yea, life is really, REALLY good for me.  So much so, that I guess you could say I've entered my own 'Promised Land'.  All of this reminds me of a strict warning that God gave to the Israelites before they came into their Promised Land -a land flowing with milk and honey.

Deutoronomy 6:10  When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Issac and Jacob, to give you - a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant - then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.  (NIV)

So, if you are living in your own 'promised land' and, in the midst of your prosperity, you're tempted to forget about God, I have a little encouragement for you.  On this sacred week of thanks -make your own list of gifts.  Keep the list handy, and each day whisper a prayer of thanksgiving  to the One who has given us so much. Most important of all, keep your heart close to Him; the One who showers us with blessings too numerous to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment