Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Rock Star

So I was running today, and I was thinking about rock stars.  You know the ones we idolize, adore, would- give-anything-to meet kind of rock stars.  I have to admit that I'm starting to get out of the loop when it comes to knowing who's popular these days.  Take, for instance, Justin Bieber.  When I first heard about him, I thought his last name was Beaver.  And I thought to myself  'that is a really strange name for a rock star'. 

All this thinking about  rock stars made me think about something else.  Something that may sound silly, but I wondered about it nonetheless.  Why don't we as believers love Jesus and treat him as our rock star?   Yea, yea I know - Jesus as a rock star - how crazy can you get?  But think about it for a second.  Why do we love celebrities?  It 's not like they do anything for us, they only know us as one of the masses who love and adore them.  And I seriously doubt that any one of them would be willing to give up their life for me.

But Jesus did.  He gave up his life for me.  I'm not just one of the masses to him.  He knows me intimately and personally.  He is, in every sense of the word, a true rock star.  So why don't I jump up and down when I think about him?  Why am I embarassed to even mention his name in cetain crowds?  My rock star, Jesus.
Nope, I sure don't treat him like one. 

And for now, maybe that's all right.  He knows my weaknesses.  He understands that I'm just dust and bones.  And, most importantly, he's not ashamed of me.  So I figure I shouldn't be ashamed of him either.  In the church I grew up in we used to sing a hymn about this - about being ashamed of Jesus.  Wish you could hear the tune- it's quite catchy.  But, for now, take note of the lyrics, and try not to forget who the ultimate rock star is. 

"Jesus! And Shall It Ever Be"by Joseph Grigg, c. 1722-1768

Altered by Benjamin Francis, 1734-1799

1. Jesus! and shall it ever be
A mortal man ashamed of Thee?
Ashamed of Thee, whom angels praise,
Whose glories shine through endless days?

2. Ashamed of Jesus? Sooner far
Let evening blush to own a star.
He sheds the beams of light divine
O'er this benighted soul of mine.
 
3. Ashamed of Jesus? Just as soon
Let midnight be ashamed of noon.
'Tis midnight with my soul till He,
Bright Morning Star, bids darkness flee.

4. Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend
On whom my hopes of heaven depend?
No; when I blush, be this my shame,
That I no more revere His name.
 
5. Ashamed of Jesus? Yes, I may
When I've no guilt to wash away,
No tear to wipe, no joy to crave,
No fears to quell, no soul to save.
 
6. Till then--nor is the boasting vain--
Till then I boast a Savior slain.
And oh, may this my portion be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me!

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I would love to see a stadium filled with cheering fans all waiting to worship Jesus.... instead of some sporting event or a rock concert.

    ReplyDelete