Saturday, December 24, 2011

A New Year

Okay - jumping the gun a bit, but I figured this was a good "thank you" for the New Year.  I wrote this about ten years ago and sent it to my mom after she'd had a particularly bad year.  It was found when we were cleaning out her house. 
January, 2001

It's that time of year again, a time to ponder all of the wonderful miraculous blessings that we have received for yet another year.  Sometimes it's difficult to separate one year from another.  Time flies so swiftly, and we forget that what was so troublesome to us last year has now become a distant memory at best.  That's how quickly God can and does change things in our lives.

Sometimes I find myself neglecting to remember just how much God has answered my prayers.  At these moments I truly realize how ungrateful I am.  So God, please forgive me, and help me to remember:

Help me to remember the sore throat that went away, the toothache that never came, the car bill that wasn't mine to pay, the accident that never happened, the roommates and apartment that were mine to share, the extra money that helped me go on that trip, the doctor's visit that proved everything was A-OK.

The extra long smile from my brand new niece, the surprise week off from school, the long visit with my mom, a hug from a friend that changed my whole day, the Word of Life teaching my soul, the extra soft pillow on my bed at night, the stars shining brightly in the sky, the electricity we never lost, the rainbow reminding us that You keep your promises. 

The newborn babies I got to hold, the Saturday nights we spent with friends, the Sunday morning trips to church, the cows in the meadow and the grass in the field, and every other single blessing I've received so ungratefully from such a gracious hand as yours.

Amen.

P.S. Help me to have a better memory next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment