Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Katie’s Poem

 

At first I didn’t want you.

‘A boy would be nice,’ I thought,

Someone for him to play with,

A pal, a buddy for life.

 

Then came my birthday,

a beautiful day.

For the first time we got a glimpse of you.

Inside of me you twisted and turned.

You kicked your leg up and yawned.

You were alive, oh so alive,

and my heart swelled with joy.

“It’s a girl,” we were told

and suddenly,

you were exactly what I’d hoped for,

exactly what I wanted.

 

 

 Then the day came.

With a push and a shout

You entered into our world.

Laughing at your tiny face puckered up in misery,

we welcomed you.

You were beautiful.

Holding you in my arms,

I marveled at your tiny hands, your tiny feet.

You were my precious baby girl.

The girl I thought I didn’t want.

 

 But it didn’t stop there.

We took you home.

We brought you to your brother.

His eyes glimmered with delight when he saw you.

‘What was this?’ he wondered,

and the possibilities of brotherhood

s t r e t c h e d out before him.

The dog came and, mildly interested,

sniffed at you.

But he turned his back.

‘Not another one,’

he seemed to be saying.

You had entered into our hearts and our lives;

you who I thought I didn’t want.

 

 

Many times since then I’ve held you in my arms.

Our eyes lock when I feed you,

and we study one another –

sharing secrets of the life to come.

Secrets that only a mother and daughter

can understand.

It’s in those moments that I know;

I will never grow tired of you,

I will never run out of love for you,

but most of all

I will never again think that I don’t want you.

No comments:

Post a Comment