Monday, April 14, 2014

crazy technology



Last night after a debacle that occurred simply because I was trying to get my wordpress website up and running, I have once again been reminded of two important truths. Number one; I hate technology and two; I have a husband who has a very generous nature.

So, I need to get my website up and running and since my husband is so busy these days, I decided to get a service from a site that would not only assist me in setting up my site but also in running it.

I chose to buy this service for a couple of reasons, I wanted assistance in setting the site up, true, but I also knew I was going to need help in the future. I didn’t want to have to always rely on someone else to figure out how to do stuff on my website. (I think the word “stuff” indicates just how clueless I am when it comes to technology.)

Here’s the thing. The site made their services look so inexpensive—showing how much I would pay on a monthly basis. It seemed so reasonable. What I didn’t realize is that they would be charging me upfront for three full years. By the time I realized this, it was too late. 

The worst part is that it didn’t help me at all. Hours later, okay probably more like fifteen minutes later, I was as confused as ever and had come no closer to setting up my site than before. My shoulders were tense. My brain was fried, and I felt beyond discouraged. 

With complete frustration written all over my face, I went down and told my hubby what I’d done. He took one look at my stressed, irritated self gave me a hug and said, “Honey you’re a writer, not a computer programmer.” Of course he meant it in the best possible way, and, I have to say, truer words were never spoken.

When John and I were first married, I had a computer that I had inherited from my mom. John referred to it fondly in one of two ways—the “dinosaur” or my adding machine. According to him, I would still be using that computer if it weren’t for his insistence that I upgrade. 

A few weeks back, I was visiting with a friend and we were discussing how fast technology comes out these days. It seems like within weeks, my iphone five (if that’s what it is) has become obsolete. Of course I am exaggerating, but for someone who needs at least a year to figure new gadgets out, it’s exhausting.

And it seems like things come out so fast that they still have all these little glitches. (I’m assuming that’s what upgrades are for). But my question is, why not just make stuff really good and sound in the first place?

Even as I write this my shoulders are tensing up and my nostrils are flaring, so this is where I’ll sign off leaving you with one last thought; my husband is truly correct. It is a good thing I have some writing skills. I don’t think a career in technology would ever pan out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment