Monday, February 27, 2012

Sudden, Dramatic, Complete

Do you ever feel like nothing about life will EVER change that it just keeps going on and on – a pattern or routine that will never be disrupted.  I know I felt like this, especially when I was little.  Life moved so slowly.  I wanted to be taller, or older, able to do things I wasn’t allowed to do at my age.  The days seemed to crawl by. 

That was then, and this is now.  Now that I am older and wiser I try to cherish each day knowing all too well that I will never get it back.  I guess I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit because I’ve realized that  all of a sudden my babies have grown into kids, and I’m left wondering how it happened.  Of course I realize they grow every day, but it happens in such small ways.   It’s hard to see the change taking place before my very eyes because it’s so miniscule.  And I realize that all these small changes add up to one big change – a sudden, dramatic, complete one.   I know I’ve shared this quote before, but I think it’s worth resharing:

Thus God works out His own high purposes slowly as it seems oftentimes, but surely and with unerring wisdom until all things being done, the end is sudden, dramatic, complete.  ~ Cynthia Heald

Back when I was a teacher it seemed like that was what I would always be.  Despite the stress and load of work, I loved it.  Then I left to stay at home with my kids, and, just like that, my teaching days were over.  To this day when fall begins and teachers prepare for the new school year, I miss it; the newness of it all, the camaraderie, the staff, the students.  I miss it all.  And I realize that I will never get that season of life back.   Now that I’m trying to make writing my career, I realize in all likelihood I will never again teach in a classroom.  It makes me sad.  But you know what makes me even sadder?   The fact that I took some of it for granted. 
Another example of taking things for granted happened during my single years.  When I was in college, I fully expected to be married by the time I graduated.  When that milestone came and passed I thought, ‘Well, maybe my mid twenties.’ Those came and went too.  As I got closer to that magic age of 30, I wondered if I would ever be married and have kids of my own.   But God was working on my heart, and I began to realize something.  While there was a large part of me that wished I was married, I would never be able to get those years of being single back.  From then on, I worked hard to appreciate that very special time in my life. 

Once I was married, I realized what a gift I’d been given.   As a single person, I had made some very dear friends.  I had traveled, taken backpacking trips.  I stayed up late when I wanted to, slept in, ate cereal for dinner when I didn’t feel like making anything.  Life was simpler then.  It was all about me; my time, my life.  No one else to be accountable to.   That was a precious time. 

Now, being married and having young kids I try to make each day count.  Yes, the house isn’t as clean as I’d like it to be.  Yes, there are days the kids drive me batty.  Yes, it would be so easy to think, “If only they were a little bit older . . . ,”  But when I catch myself thinking these things I stop and remind myself, they will never be small again.  I will never get these days back.  In fact there are moments when I wish my babies would still be - my babies.  Already I’m beginning to wonder, ‘How did they grow up so fast?’   
I had a dear friend in high school whose mom gave the best advice I’ve ever been given. ‘ Don’t wish any part of your life away.  You will never get it back.  Make the most of each day.  Make each day count.’  Hope this is encouragement for you.  Treasure each day.  Treasure your loved ones.  Treasure the priceless gift of now.  Make every moment count.

Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment