Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's been ten days or so since I've written an entry.  A lot has happened since then.  Last week I spent some time visiting my mom up in my hometown.  I was planning on coming back Wednesday morning.  Unfortunately, things don't always go as planned. 

Monday night, Mom and I went to a movie.  When the movie was over and the credits were rolling, we got up to leave the theater.  Unfortunately, mom lost her sense of balance in the dark, and, before I knew it, she had fallen to the floor.  The fall was pretty hard, and I was almost certain she had broken a bone, maybe even her hip.  The next morning I took her to the ER.  After a couple of x-rays it was determined that she had not broken a single bone.  What a relief.

I relate this story as I'm thinking about something that I struggle with in my life - surviving the bad days.  When I was in my late teens/early twenties I used to dread having a good day.   I know that sounds strange.  But if I was having a good day, there was a part of me that figured the next day would certainly be bad.  I spent half my day worrying about what bad thing was lurking just around the corner.  Prediagnosis there were, of course, many bad days.    And if I would have known what bad thing was coming, I would have pulled the covers over my head to avoid whatever catastrophe was imminent.   

I have noticed  that as I've gotten older, this fear of the future has become less crippling.  In fact, I rarely dread the unknown.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that many of my days are more good than bad.  A verse that has meant a lot to me  when it comes to facing an uncertain future is written in the front cover of my bible.  Proverbs 31:25  She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future.(NLT)

Did you catch that?  In case you didn't I'll write it again, "she laughs with no fear of the future."  That's the kind of gal I want to be, one who can laugh at the unknown - even the scary unknown.  I don't know the future, but I do know the One who holds my future in his hands.  So I guess ultimately I need to trust him. 

I'll sign off with a second quote I have written on the same cover, "Lead kindly light . . . Keep Thou my feet;  I do not ask to see the distant scene; one step enough for me." 
I know that, at any moment a bad thing could arrive, but it's not so scary when I think about facing it.  I know that I'm not alone and that everything, even the worst of days, are worked together for my good.  (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment