Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crazy Worries

What to write, what to write.  The best advice I ever received about writing addressed the issue of writer's block.  Basically, if you'll allow me to paraphrase, it goes something like this.  'If you're having a difficult time coming up with things to write about, lower your standards and keep on writing.'  Very sensible, valuable advice.  So without further ado . . . here is today's blog entry.  (Standards lowered, but hoping it still comes out all right.)

A fly has been hanging around our kitchen for quite some time.  Well, I guess it could be a number of different flies.  I HATE flies - hate them.  My biggest problem with them?  I'm never able to kill them.  I have terrible aim when it comes to fly swatters.  Maybe I overthink it - make it a bigger deal than it has to be.  Wham, missed again.  Doggone flies. 

So writing that, I just thought of a different sort of fly in my ointment.  The worry kind.  I worry about this, worry about that.  Pretty soon my worries are buzzing around inside my head.  And, there are so many of them I don't know which one to tackle first.  Consequently, when I aim to get rid of one - wham,  missed again.

Is anyone out there as much of a worrier as I am?  Seems like I'm constantly up in arms about something.    Did I make the kids brush their teeth this morning?  Oh no, I forgot.  Wham,  missed it.   Is that guy behind me unhappy with this minivan driving mama?  Wham!  Yup, he probably is because I'm driving too slow. Wham, my desk is too messy.  Wham, I forgot to get the mail today.  Wham, I yelled at the kids when I should have been more patient. 

See what I'm getting at?  Worry, upon worry, upon worry builds up in my head until I'm practically paralyzed.  And for what?  Did a single worry make anything better?  Did the worries buzzing around inside my brain fix anything?   No, they didn't.    It was like swatting aimlessly at flies - missed one after the other after the other.  What's more, if anything, the worry kept me from being productive 'cause all I could concentrate on was how bad everything was.

Jesus addressed the issue of worrying when talking to a crowd of people up on a hill; 

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air;  they do not sow or reap or store away in  barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  (Matthew 6:25 NIV)

I guess I paraphrased what Jesus already taught.  No, my worries can not add a single hour to my life.  In fact, what they do is they take the joy out of my days.  I'm so focused on what can go wrong that I forget about everything that's right. 

Uh oh, here comes another one of those pesky worries . . . Are the kids really still sleeping?  Maybe something's wrong.  I should go check on them.   On second thought . . .  nope not gonna go there, not gonna worry.  Wham!  Got it.  See ya, you pesky thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment