Sunday, July 3, 2011

Waiting on God

I have to admit that having been on vacation this last week, it is hard to get back into the groove, so to speak.  So, if this entry is a dud, please forgive.  My brain is just getting back from vacation, too. 

Wanted to share a verse that has been very encouraging to me over the years.  One that I hope will encourage you too, as you wait on God. 

Psalm 123 1:2 - I lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in heaven.  We look to the Lord our God for his mercy, just as servants keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal. 

I don't know why, but those verses always get me.  It's really about faith, about waiting on God.  We as believers seem to do a lot of waiting, don't we?  And it's hard to understand, why can't we have what we want NOW.  Why does it seem like we are constantly waiting for something?  Why must we always be waiting on God to make that something happen? 

Well, for one thing, it's disastrous when someone tries to force God's hand.  I mean, look at Abraham and Sarah.  They had a promise from God that even in their old age they would have a child, a son specifically.  It was a wonderful promise - one that God being God, you could take to the bank.  But they did what we so often are apt to do; when things weren't moving fast enough for them, they took matters into their own hands.  Abraham slept with Sarah's servant, and, lo and behold, she became pregnant.  This was God's answer, right?  This child would be Abraham's heir.  Well, that's not exactly the way it ended up.  As a matter of fact, they got themselves into quite a situation. (Genesis 16:1-6)  a situation which could have been avoided if only they'd waited on God to fulfill his purposes, his promises.

I have a book of quotes that I keep and often refer to for some wisdom or reflection.  Here's a quote I love from a commentary on the life of Queen Esther:

Thus God works out His own high purposes, SLOWLY as it seems oftentimes, but surely and with unerring wisdom, until all things being done, the end is sudden, dramatic, complete

This is probably my favorite quote of all time.  I love the idea that, behind the scenes, God is making a masterpiece out of my life.   I've never quilted, but I kinda think that there's a correlation here.  God is painstakingly weaving something beautiful together.  And, although the days seem to drag on with nothing ever changing, there will come a time when the end is "sudden, dramatic, and complete". 

Every day is important, because, even though I can't see it, there is going to be an end to this story.  I don't know what you're waiting for in your life, and how long you've had to wait.  But, maybe the above psalm and quote will give you some encouragement.  Yes, God seems a little on the slow side sometimes.  But he's faithful to keep each and every promise he's ever made.  Our job is to sit back and enjoy the ride.  And, when we come to the end, we will find the masterpiece we've been waiting for - our own life story, unfolded and beautifully pieced together by the Master himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment