Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Great High Priest

Hebrews 4:14 That is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus, the Son of God.  Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him.

Been contemplating this verse alot in the last few weeks.  My struggle, sometimes with Jesus, is thinking that he really didn't have it too hard while he was on earth.  I mean, he is the Son of God, how hard could it be?  He had all that power, all that authority.  It was easy for him to overcome temptation, right?  Well, maybe not.  In Hebrews 4:15, my bible translation reads. "This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations that we do, yet he did not sin."  What strikes me most in this verse is that word all.  Did you catch it?  Well, of course you had to because I bolded and italicized it.:) 

Jesus understands our weaknesses -  all of them.  Why?  Because he faced the same ones we do, the very ones that might be pulling at you right now, the temptation to despair, lie, cheat, steal, hate, mock, to disrespect, whatever it is, he's dealt with it.  Jesus considering lying?  Jesus considering mocking? -  after all he was mocked many times.  Betcha he could've flung out some good stingers himself.   Jesus giving in to the temptation to despair?  Look at the Garden of Gethsemane, he was very near the despair that would have drove him away from God's plan, made him run and hide, instead of face the will of his Father.  But he didn't run, he didn't hide, he didn't give in to despair.  He followed God's path all the way to the cross.  That's the  kind of guy I want on my team - someone who's blazed the trail before me and found the perfect path.   Someone who's "got my back," - a guy I can "cling to and never stop trusting."  Hope that's who you have on your team, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment