Thursday, February 10, 2011

And in this corner . . . faith.

Living life in limbo is always interesting, isn't it?  Which way is the path you're on going to twist or turn?  Will it take you to the right - down that easy, safe path, or will your travels take you up a difficult, even treacherous road?  Last night I was laying in bed thinking about what the next day was going to bring.  For some reason, I thought back to all the really bad, horrible days I've ever had:   the day my brother called to tell me my dad had passed away, the day my grandma died, the day my favorite dog was put to "sleep", the day I left for college.  So many come to mind, and I thought to myself, 'What if tomorrow is one of those really horrible, awful, I can barely-make-it-through days?  What if tomorrow brings the worst news yet?' AIl of a sudden I got kind of scared.  How was I going to make it through the next "bad" day of my life?

 Interesting how fear can be such a roadblock, making me afraid to take that next step, to face that next day.  And I guess that faith is the antithesis of fear.  Faith makes life bearable, doesn't it?  We don't know what the next step, what the next day will bring, but we do know who holds the next day in his hand.  All of our days of life were recorded in his book before one of them came to be. That's what the psalmist says - David, I believe.

 So, with worry crouching in the corner of my mind, ready to pounce and make me a slave again to fear, I did the best thing I could.  I chose to remember how faithful God has been to me, reminded myself that he has brought me safely through every "bad" day I've ever had, and remembered that he will be there for me whatever tomorrow may bring:  joy, sadness, amazement, discovery, loss, or even pain.  None of it is new to him.  All of it is part of his plan, his design for my life.  So, I guess you could say that even my bad days, in fact my worst days, are really okay in his hands.  He's working it all together for my good.

No comments:

Post a Comment