Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Crazy Pills"

I had an interesting experience a few days ago.  I had forgotten to take my morning meds, and that whole day something just didn't seem right.  I was feeling really weird - off kilter - so to speak.  Finally, that evening, I realized what I'd done so I went to take my evening meds to get back on track.  Scary how accustomed my body has become to these medications.  Without them, I would not function well at all.
 
Meds are the best, and worst part about having a mental illness.  I am thankful over and over again that I live in the time period I do, and that medicine has come a long way from where it was even 15-20 years back.  For the most part, I don't have many side effects.  The one side effect that I notice the most are my tremors.  Strange as it may sound, my chin tends to tremble.  It's pretty slight, but definitely noticeable.  I also have tremors in my hand. When I hold something, my hands shake.  It's embarassing sometimes, because I wonder what people think.

When I was first diagnosed, my husband was particularly worried that I wouldn't take my medications.  I grew up in a family where the mentality was that if you were sick you just needed to "tough it out."  Medicine wasn't "really necessary."  I'm glad I'm married to a man who is, by background, a nurse.  He's helped me to see how important these meds are to my health and well-being.  A gal I knew once called them "crazy pills."  I think that was an ignorant statement, and I hope others realize that these medications are anything but crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment