Wednesday, August 24, 2011

finding the defendant not guilty

Raise your hand if you are continually plagued by the guilty bug.  Okay, well you don't really have to raise your hand because, obviously, I can't see you.  But you may be wondering, what is the guilty bug?  The guilty bug is the one that sits on your shoulders, and, the moment you do something "wrong"  whispers in your ears, "You're guilty."  You know those cartoons that show a devil sitting on one shoulder and an angel on the other.   Well, how often do you listen to the Liar rather than focusing on the Truth?  The truth that we are forgiven - that we are a new creation in Christ.  Why is it so much easier to hold on to the guilt rather than to be washed clean in grace?  I am especially guilty of this.  Guilty of feeling guilty and dragging that guilt around with me wherever I go. 

I have been reading a book by C.S. Lewis called The Screwtape Letters.  It's a bit deep for me in some places, but, I've found that there are some good bits of wisdom to glean from it.  Without going into too much detail, I'll share the premise of the book.  Screwtape is a demon who is training his nephew, Wormwood, in the finer points of temptation - namely how to mislead and guide a soul away from God.   It's a little confusing at first because, in the book, the devil is referred to as "Our Father," and the "Enemy" is God.  Here's a quote that touches on where God wants our hearts to be when it comes to guilt. 

Even of [our] sins the Enemy (God) does not want [us] to think too much:  once they are repented, the sooner [we] turn [our] attention outward, the better the Enemy (God) is pleased.

I have to admit that I have been more motivated in my life by guilt than by grace.  I've carried guilt around  'til  it becomes a burden that is much too heavy to bear. There is hope, though, I believe. 
By grace I can learn to let go of the guilt and find an easier "yoke" to bear - the one Christ offers. 

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matthew 11:28-30

Rest from guilt.  Is it even possible?  I'm beginning  to believe that, once we've repented of a sin, God wants us to let go of our shame and hold onto his hand of grace.  What makes you feel guilty?   What weighs you down with an unbearable sense of shame?  Maybe it's time to let it go.  Maybe it's time to believe that God's grace is bigger than our sins.  That, in Christ, He truly has removed them as far as the east is from the west. 

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

You are free.  Now go and live like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment