Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lies, Lies, and More Lies

He [the devil] was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.  When he lies, he speaks his native tongue, for he is a liar and the father of lies.  John 8:44

Kind of an interesting verse to start out with, huh?  It's one that's been on my mind lately.  Mostly because I've begun to have this awareness that I tend to listen more to the lies of the devil than I do the truths of God.  It is so easy to become  entangled by  lies.  They're so much easier to fall for, so much easier to believe.  With every fiber of my being I fight to hold on to the truth, but it is not always an easy thing to do.

What are some of the lies I believe?  That God is dissapointed in me.  That he just barely tolerates me.  That I'm stupid, incapable, a simpleton.  These are just a few of the lies that I've fallen for throughout the course of my life. 

The thief  [the devil] comes only to kill and destroy;  I have come that [you] may have life and have it to the full. (John 10:10).

So the devil is a liar and a  thief.  Why then do I want to listen to and believe in what he has to say?  Well , in some ways, I feel like my brain has to be reprogrammed.   Since I was little I've been lied to, and, what's worse, I've believed most of the lies.  It is a daily battle to hold on to the truth.  Paul knew this when he penned this charge to the Ephesians;
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist.  Ephesians 6:14

So here's my challenge to you over the next several days. (Yes, now I'm making you do homework.)  Think about the lies that you've listened to and believed most of your life.  Lies about yourself, lies about others, lies about God.  Ask God to show you what some of those lies are, and, by his Spirit, begin to replace them with the truth - the truth that sets us free.  (John 8:32).  God's blessings upon your endeavor. 

1 comment:

  1. A teacher at heart... thanks for the homework! A valuable assignment!

    ReplyDelete