Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Miracles

What I wanted to do yesterday was to write something inspiring or thought-provoking about Good Friday. 
But, alas, my children had other plans for me.  Then, miracle of miracles, when we got home today, they, of their own volition, took themselves to their rooms and fell asleep.   It is an Easter miracle; one day early, mind you, but I'll take it!

Which leads me to today's topic; miracles.  I have to confess something right here and now.  The fact that I am still a Christian, that I have faith in Christ's saving work is a true miracle.  Here's why.  A few days ago, I wrote about the nature of my fickle heart, how easily I can be tempted, even moved to follow the wrong path.  But, after all these years, I still believe something that I believed as a child.  Namely, that Christ died on the cross for me and rose again to give me new life.  Now, I know myself well enough to say I don't believe many things for my entire life.  For example, when I was a child, I used to eat spaghetti without sauce.  I believed the sauce was "icky."  Now, if you gave me noodles with no sauce, I'd turn my nose up at it.  These days, I think broccoli is the best vegetable.  A few years from now I may have moved on to brussel sprouts (highly unlikely, but I'm trying to make a point here).  Or take, for example, when I was in college; I believed Christian music was annoying.  Now, it's about all I listen to. 

My tastes, beliefs, perceptions about the world, about life, are always changing.  But not my belief in Christ.  This belief, this story has stayed the same in my heart all these years.  It's never changed, it's never wavered.  It's been a beacon of hope guiding me along life's paths.  So, how is it that I have come to believe the same thing that millions of other Christians around the world have believed for centuries.  How can my  fickle heart be so faithful to this creed?   I've two words for you - well, three actually; The Holy Spirit.  If nothing else is proof of God's being real, the fact that Christians, for centuries upon centuries, have believed exactly the same thing, is enough for me.  We didn't make this stuff up.  Who would?  A man dying on a cross to save the world from its own self-detruction?  But, we do believe.  And that, to me, is the biggest sign that all of this is true. 

If God had not been at work in my life, I wouldn't have kept the faith through all life's ups and downs.  Trust me.  There have been times when I have wanted, like crazy, to stop believing.  But, somehow, I haven't.  And it isn't because I'm such a dedicated follower.  I would have stopped following a long time ago when the going got rough.  That, to me, is the greatest testimony to the truth of scripture - the truth of God. We believe because he's revealed himself to us.  We keep on believing because he keeps us in the faith.  And should we ever turn our backs on him, he will never turn his back on us. He believes that the sacrifices he made to buy us back were worth it.  His heart isn't fickle.  So somehow, when it comes to faith, he's kept mine from being fickle too.  A true Easter miracle.  Oh yes, and the kids are still asleep; I'd say I experienced a double Easter miracle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment