Wednesday, April 13, 2011

a thorn in the flesh; part two

Feel like I'm in a fog today.  Wanting to write something really inspirational, but having no idea what that might be.  I published another post today entitled "a thorn in the flesh."  We all have them, don't we?  Something in our lives that we desperately want to be free of.  What yours is, only you might know.  A thorn in the flesh, to me, is anything that keeps us from being the ideal person we'd like to be.  It leaves me wondering: why are they necessary?

2 Corinthians 12:7  To keep me from becoming conceited  . . . there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Well that stinks, doesn't it?   No one wants to be weak.  No one wants a thorn sticking out of their side.  So what's the deal? 

I really consider my thorn to be bipolar and I would have to say, were it not for this illness, I would probably not  rely on God as much as I do.  In fact, without it, my faith may not have been important to me at all.  But I know that, as a direct result of my illness, I have sought God out like nothing else.   Were it not for this weakness, I may not have sought  him out at all.

Whatever your thorn in the flesh is, I hope you are encouraged to realize that it could be the very thing that "saves you" from self-reliance;  from the lie that says we can be be strong enough to handle our own problems.  It  may be the very thing that causes you to reach out and cry, "God, why are you doing this to me?"  And maybe, just maybe, we'll hear his answer as Paul did, "My grace is sufficient for you."  And we'll find that it really is true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment